Oil & Gas
Land Use Application
The standards governing the use and development of Oil and gas development in Colorado is regulated by the Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (COGCC). The COGCC governs the permitting and regulation of oil and gas wells throughout the state according to the Oil and Gas Conservation Act.
Municipalities have limited authority when it comes to the oversight of oil and gas operations within their boundaries. A 2002 Colorado State Court of Appeals decision affirmed an earlier judgment which defines to what extent a local jurisdiction may regulate drilling operations within its boundaries.
The Town of Milliken requires an oil and gas special use permit, which requires approval by the Planning and Zoning Commission, security inspections and fee, and a notice to proceed from the Town Clerk. The application form used is the Town’s land use application accompanied with much of the same application information the Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (COGCC) requires. Please refer to the Milliken Land Use Code’s Oil and Gas Drilling and Production Section 16-9 for more information.
- Questions, comments or complaints? Call the COGCC Toll Free: 1-888-235-1101
- COGCC Frequently Asked Questions : A list of questions compiled and answered by the COGCC staff.
- The COGCC Information page was created because of the public’s interest in and concern about the potential impacts of fracking on public health and the environment, including surface and ground water resources.
- The American Petroleum Institute provides a video of Oil & Gas Extraction Hydraulic Fracturing: Safe Oil and & Natural Gas Extraction - video
- The State of Colorado Department of Natural Resources' Division of Wildlife is working with the oil and gas industry to protect wildlife and mitigate the impacts of oil and gas drilling.
- COGCC Hearings: Link to current and previous COGCC hearing schedules; review dockets, agendas, applications and their outcome.
- COGCC Permits: Search system for approved permits and current pending permits; it may be filtered by county.
- COGCC Maps: This interactive map application allows the user to zoom, pan, and select types of information to display. This application will also display the database information for wells by selection tools or double checking on a single item. There are also tools to allow annotations and to save reusable map files.
- CDPHE / Air Emissions http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/CDPHE-AP/CBON/1251597643322
- Frac Focus is the hydraulic fracturing chemical registry website www.fracfocus.org. This website is a joint project of the Ground Water Protection Council and the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission.
- Water Source Report: State regulations designed to protect water resources.